Saturday, December 17, 2011

To bashguard or not to bashguard?

Disclaimer: These tips are for the blog author, pls seek professional instruction as this sport may be dangerous!


A very dirty bashguard...wash me!
The answer is simple!
I broke several teeth on my biggest chainring (it's a triple crank) by hitting rocks. I hardly ever used it and once I even cut my leg with it.
As I never installed the bashguard before, I was a bit cautious with this idea and avoided it for some time. Looking online in various places I discovered the following:
  • You don't need to pull the crank to install the bashguard
  • All you need is a multitool.
  • I didn't need a special key to hold the special nut on the inner side of the crank, the bolts tightened very well (I used a bit of locktite, I am not sure whether it is an overkill though)
  • I unscrewed the four bolts that hold the biggest chainring making sure the middle ring was still in its place (you see the bolts on the picture).
  • The above took me 5 minutes.
  • I screwed IN the H screw on the front derailleur (it is a triple shifter) to avoid shifting by accident over the bashguard on the non existent biggest chain ring.
  • That was it! Finito!
  • I will check the bolts before my second ride with the bashguard to make sure they are tight.
  • It took me 1 minute to put the biggest chainring in the garbage.
  • Why did I do it in the first place? To improve clearance, eliminate jamming of the bike on the logs, eliminate potential cuts to the lower leg, to try something cool!
  • I have not tried the Stinger yet!